Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Adventure

It's easy enough to convince yourself that you're not cheating on the one that you're with, but what about the others? I went with Jack that night to have an adventure, but not to cheat on Rascal.
Oh God, Rascal, if I only had known what God was planning, I wouldn't have dared gone out.

Rascal and I had known each other for years. Years. We met before college, probably at some local party. Dated for a few years, crashed on each others couches for a few more, then ended up buying an apartment together in the city. No real love, just dates that ended in crashing back on the couch with a couple of funny movies and endless popcorn. If it wasn't for the morning wake up kisses you might have thought that one of us was playing for the other team.

But now here is Jack, offering me an adventure that I've never had with Rascal. I've never gone somewhere spontaneous with Rascal. I'm not cheating. I'm just having an adventure, right? I kept trying to convince myself of this. It wasn't working.

I met Jack after he closed up the shop. He turned, grinned at me and hooked his arm around my left arm. It was tight enough to look like we were together, but loose enough that I could run away. A back door. Maybe I should leave! "The mind is willing but the flesh is weak" ran through my mind.

"You look nice, Nicole."
"Oh! Thanks... I guess ha ha. It's the same thing from before."
"I know. I just thought I'd mention that now."
"Oh."

We walked along the empty streets for a few moments when Jack pulled me down Ally's Alley. Ally owns the bowling ally in town, and the front entrance is located in the alley. Original idea for a small town like ours.
I could hear music coming from Ally's Bowling Alley, which I thought was strange, most of the places around town were closed early. Jack steered me into the Bowling Alley and I recognized a few of the faces from the bars. There was John, with his battle worn face from years of pimples and zits; Alice with her stringy hair from too many dyes; and Bernice with her tight lipped jaw that made her look like she was always eating a lemon. They all looked at me strange, probably because I was still hooked on Jacks arm, which I quickly dropped. We chatted with the bowlers who were there for the weekly bowl-a-thon and were surprised to see Jack on this side of town
A slightly chubby thirty something woman sidled up to me. She didn't look... all there.

"Jack..." I suddenly didn't feel well. I had sharp pain in my lower back. As if a needle had pierced me. No wait, that was a needle. I blacked out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment