Saturday, January 23, 2016

Demon Attack

Always be aware of your surroundings.

There was a full moon that night, and the air tensed with the uneasiness of something horrid that was to happen. I was sixteen at the time, young, pretty, college bound and full of adventure.

Work went like it went as any other shift, fifteen hundred bodies coming and going on a cold winter night. Some where at the mountain to learn how to ski, bundled up so that they resembled moving marshmallows with squeaky voices. I worked in the basement then, helping customers find the right sized boots for their rented skis or snowboards, or finding their shoes when they've returned my equipment. I loved my customers; from the out of townees who couldn't wait to try the slopes that was on their to do list, to the people that became friends from out of the country. I had a family once that I was able to communicate with my limited Spanish and their broken English. Our interaction was so genuine and wonderful that they returned the following weekend to try skiing again and asked for me to help them!

The people I worked with in the basement could not have been nicer. There was Rob, who sold stocks on the side. He was 28, handsome, married to his snowboard and very clever. He would dive in to any situation to help, even if it wasn't needed. Sue and Joe were the twins, always in sync with each other, whenever you saw one, you would see the other shortly after. Even though Sue was obviously a girl, and Joe was obviously a boy, they would cut their short black hair the same way, and wear the same shirt under their uniform, just to drive our manager crazy! Oh my manager, Mark, he was the most wonderful man in the world to work for as someone just starting out in their careers. He was on the far side of fifty, with as many wrinkles on his face. He was short, but his voice was loud, you could hear it from one end of the lodge to the other. If there was a customer that needed help, or we were understaffed, he would roll up his sleeves and help us out.

The night in question though, shortened my stay with these lovely people. It was my last night working down in the basement, the last night before I headed back to college. I wanted to stay and be with all of them, and continue working with the customers that I had grown to love. They threw me a small party, and wished me luck as we closed up together for the last time. Most of them would stay, but I was the only one that was leaving for the wide world. I would return the following winter, and stay on perhaps a little bit longer.

I never liked going out to my car alone, and neither did Mark so we always went together. We made a funny pair, Old Mark and I, walking each other to our cars that were tucked away from the customers vehicles. I said good night to Mark, gave him one last thank you hug and locked myself into my car. I loved that beat up car of mine. I had only used it for a few months and it already went through two relationships, three snowstorms and a flat tire. It was a four door white tank that I would not have traded for anything in the world! I started up my little car and started the drive home.

About a mile away from work I heard a *crack* at the bottom of my car and my heart stopped. I thought I had only hit a branch but it was obviously something more serious. I signaled to let the truck behind me go around, and started to pull to the side to check ... but the truck did the same! I panicked, I hit the gas and drove home, or at least as far as I could to a safe place. I knew there was a house that I had babysat at was only a mile away and I knew I could make it that far. The truck was still behind me, and I still didn't let him pass. He honked his horn at every turn, and flashed his high beams into my mirrors, but I still would not pull over until I knew I was somewhere safe!

Finally, the clunking under my car could only mean something was serious and I pushed the little car to the driveway of the Triackles. The truck was right behind me as I grabbed the nearest weapon I could find, the heavy flashlight that was a part of my winter gear, leaped out of my car and I screamed loud to wake the neighbors, "What do you want!" I waved my mighty flashlight over my head and braced myself to throw it, and to be ready to run. The Triackles porch light went on, the motion detector was set off by my wild movements.

Slowly the truck door opened, and out stepped a tall man, with heavy work boots. He wore a thick Carhart jacket and laughed at my stance. "Oh honey, I appreciate the theatrics and that you're trying to protect yourself, but you don't need to! I've been trying to pull you over since you hit the tree because you broke your tail pipe!" He laughed again. "Ha! Just go ahead and pop your trunk, I'll stay over here and wiggle it loose to throw in there, and I'll be on my way!"

True to his word, he removed the broken tail pipe, threw it into my trunk, tugged his woolen hat in my direction and drove off, smiling and laughing at the situation. I could see Mrs. Triackle standing in the window, watching the whole situation. I stood there shocked at how quickly I had misread the situation, and how quickly I had stood up to defend myself against an angel. I was proud of that. I drove home, and explained why I was late. It turned out my angel had already called my house to inform my family of what he had done, and to say I would be home shortly. I never got the second chance to thank him.

I suppose it could have been worse. I would rather be ready to fight an angel, and have the situation be a very funny story for the future than if I had let myself be unprotected when the demons attack. Always be aware of your surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment