Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Killing Me

I'm sorry that I'm worried 
I'm sorry that I care 
I'm sorry that -
Wait, I'm not sorry 

I can't type the words that I want to say 
But if you look at me as I write this you would know 
But you can't see me tonight 
And you won't see me tonight 
Because you are too far away 

You're too far away from me 
Too far away in your thoughts about her 
And her 
And of course him 
And of course he's in my mind too 

The tears well in my eyes as I think about us 
The three of us so many years ago 
I picked us all up  
In the car I borrowed from my Dad 
Do you remember that spring afternoon? 
It was you and me and him 
Blowing bubbles in the cool spring air 
Not knowing what the next few years would bring 

You and I continuously called each other 
Saw plays together 
Watched the stars 
Played card games 
Planned our individual lives together 
Watched others fall apart 
Then rebuild 

He and I called each other when you weren't around 
We even went to dinner together once 
My girls night out date cancelled 
And he came to my rescue 
One of my favorite date nights still 
And will always be 

When the day came that changed our lives forever 
And I saw you a few days later 
You were a shell of yourself 
A absolute shell of yourself 
Not even a spark of your was left in your eyes 
I knew it would return 
Slowly 
But I knew that haunted look would never leave 
Unfortunately I hide mine behind my smile 

I'm writing this in real time 
And I should have written it a while ago 
The tears I thought had stopped 
The muffled memories I thought would stay hidden 
The folder where I tucked everything 
From the story in the paper 
To the card as a reminder 
To the few ticket stubs I found 
I thought they would stay there and keep me safe 
But I know that they won't stay hidden and quiet forever 
Like the tears that still appear in my eyes 

I know that you hide yourself in helping others 
By keeping mementos and dropping what you're doing quickly 
When you offer a ride to someone in need 
To sending things that don't belong to you to faraway places 
You like to fix things 
I wish I could fix you 

You can't see the haunted look in your eyes 
That will never go away 
You can't feel the soft hugs that you give 
And how they used to be so strong 
You can't see the pain that I can read on your face 
When you attempt to tell me a happy story 
You can't see 
But I can 
And It's killing me 

It's killing me that every time we ask 
You give us a different answer 
It's killing me that every time you throw a party 
You act like a different you 
It's killing me that I'm losing one of my best friends 
You might already know that 

The things you'll say to me when we're alone 
The stories that we share 
The tears that we spill 
The laughs that we have between the tears 
Those moments will always be yours and mine 
Yours and Mine Alone 

But I wish I could see more smiles 
Instead of tears 
I wish I could have tighter hugs that never let go 
Instead of ones that let go too early 
I wish I could have a little bit more of you 
Instead of the shell of you 
That you are silently becoming 

My dear, dear friend 
You know I love you dearly 
I tell you this almost every time I see you 
I may not say it, but I most certainly show it 

When you ask me for help on your homework
I try to help 
As we're heading to any of our shows 
I wish you well and a safe trip 
Each night as you lay sleeping 
I send a prayer your way 
Any day that shows any sign of joy 
I pray that more will find you soon 

I'm not sorry that I'm worried 
I'm not sorry that I care 
I'm not sorry that I love you, 
You'll forgive me some day 

No comments:

Post a Comment