Monday, December 13, 2010

Lauren

As with any Reading Day at my College I go to the library where everyone is and study.  It gets to be so quiet in the dorms that I can't bear it until I go to the library where I can hear breathing again. I know, a little creepy, but have you ever been the last one in a dorm hall and you can see the tell tale tumbleweed go by? Yea, its a little creepy.
I went upstairs to study because every where else was full. And I mean full, the lounges were full, the cubes were full, even the downstairs tables were full! I knew there were a few desks up stairs that no one used so I went up there. Fortunately there was one left for me, but, I had to sit next to Lauren... ugh.
I don't like her, shes tall, wide and gives off that wretched odor like all day she eats bananas, all day. Just Bananas. I mean, I like bananas but not this much in a close proximity.  She's a nice girl and all but.. bananas. Shes a freshman, an transfer and has a short fuse.  Always complaining about something.  She thinks I have the ear and the time to listen to every single one of her exploits.  She was in the crocheting club with me, but didn't last long, every week we had to move the location of the club and she complained about the club moving every time. So, one week when she couldn't find us, she sent everyone of us a complaint letter and informing all of us 'big headed fools' that she burned the squares that she was working on. Uhm, okay? None of really cared, it was just a waste of yarn.
So I had to sit back to back with banana-smelly Lauren. *Ick.* I waited for another cube to open up and I would dart right in but none were available... for three hours.  The second the one on the far wall openend up I bolted.  Mine all mine! I sat there with no problems for another hour and a half contentedly.  Oh happyness.  Around 5 p.m. my tummy started gurgling so I figured it was time to quit. I had been sitting in the library since maybe 1 p.m.? It was time to retreat back to my room, my safe warm ... bananas?
I looked up and Lauren was in front of me, all two hundred and fifty pounds of here. I winced and said 'hello' as small as I could. I really didn't want to talk to her.
'Hi." she replied, shrugging her shoulders. I almost imagined her to have a monkey mom, you know like in one of those psychiatric experiements. 
There was one of those awkward silences. I turned and pulled my book bag together, keeping an eye on her incase if she tried to pull something. Or if she used me as a complaint hot-line again.
Unfortunetly it was the complaint hot-line. She started in on her essay that she had to write, and how much she needed to do for her History essay, how there was so many pages that she had to do, how many sources and how many words it had to be and... "Stop it VanPelt," I said to her, "I really have to get back to studying, catch me some other time, alright?"
She gave me one of those 'I'm a hurt puppy dog please pet me' looks, which I was not about to fall for. Not when she was looking for a friend by asking for Pity.
I shook my blond locks and looked at her, I wasn't going to stand for it today.
With an annoyed huff she walked off, leaving a trace of bananas behind. Ew.
I finished picking up my stuff, and put on my winter jacket, then I noticed the crumpled yellow sticky note on the floor. Usually I pick them up and on throw them out with my crappy copies. But, Nosey Nancy Me decided to open it, read it, and question it. Stupid, Idiotic Me. Why did I decide to read it? Why, Why, Why????
I had to read it and I now suffered the consequences. I was now under the influence of knowing the worst possible ending to what we know existed. On the paper was written the one word that would ruin everything that we knew and Lauren knew. She knew the one phrase that would kill us all. But..!
If I knew what could kill us all, couldn't I use it to save our town?

But who should I run to? Who should I tell? But most importantly, who was Lauren if she knew this?
Who was she??

No comments:

Post a Comment