Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Expectations

“He’s different,” she warned me, “he’s the opposite of you.”
“Opposite of me?” I thought, “Maybe opposites attract!”

“He’s a college drop out, and works for a living.”
“That is an opposite, I’m going to college, and I work part time.”

“He’s tall, handsome and my boyfriend’s brother.”
“Well I’m short, average and your sorority sister.”

“Ready? He’ll be here in 10 minutes!”
“Not really, I’ll be over there in twenty!”

Blind date, always interesting
Only have a picture to hold as a reference
Does he have any more on me?
Expectations are low but maybe they should be high

First impressions, always not what we expect
Only changed my shoes about four times
Did he do the same when thinking of me?
Expectations are low on myself, but maybe they should be higher

First ride, on our way, shy little buggers are we
Only stuttered about twenty times
I counted, he stuttered more than me
Expectations are starting to level out on each partner

At the musuem, open the door, we’re both struck with wonder
Gazed in awe over the same exhibits and attractions
Are we merely following each other?
Expectations are flying out the window

Dinner, at one of his favorite restaurants
Shart tounges and lashes fly across the table all in good fun
Are we really a good fit for each other?
Expectations show a kindred spirit in the other

Movies, quote the Raven “Nevermore!”
Quotes and questions, hiding from gore in seperate seats
Is that really his brother asking him to hold my hand?
Expectations are really not that important

Home again, and we make a marvelous team playing pool
Awkward but funny, our siblings look on
He can’t see how terrible I play because he’s winning for our team
Expectations are that he is a team player

Goodbye is at my door, and it lasts more than a few moments
Can’t ignore that he has been trying to talk to me all night
Couldn’t we have found a moment to talk in quiet
Expectations are he has an explanation for everything

“So, what did you think?” Asked my sister, “Do you like him?”
“What did I think?” Replied I, “He’s wonderful!”

“So,” Continued she, “Are we going to have a double wedding?”
“Wedding?” I exclaimed, “I just met the guy! But I would say yes right now!”

No comments:

Post a Comment