Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Kid

Angel, Angel, Angel. I can't get that sweet girls face out of my head. Well, when she's sleeping she looks sweet. I wonder what goes on in her mind. If her mind is even awake.

Dave came in later that day. We've seen him around, he was no stranger to the police station. Every week he was back.. in his fathers office complaining about a student in his class or about someone that gave him a weir look on the street. Spoiled kid that Dave Boxer. I have to watch what I say though, his Dad, David Boxer Sr. could have my ass on a plate if he wanted to.
Boxer Sr. I'm sure is aware of his sons' missing guns, but since we sent him off to investigate this murder and the two people already dead I figured I could give him a break by taking with his nancy-pancy son.
If possible I wanted to find out who the murderer was before this double homicide became a triple.

Before Dave came in I ran through the facts again, the gun used in the murder in the unlocked room was found in Rick's and Angels car clear across town, and there was a nylon string found outside the window. But really, how has it moved in this far across town in a few night span? Was there another killer?
Dave came in, long legs and all, sauntering around like he owned the station. Not quite yet by freckle faced friend, not quite yet. He plunked himself down at my desk and looked around my office.  I moved in about a month ago after the last detective left after 35 years of working for Nodnol. Good man. Even better office. I had pictures of my neices and nephew lining the walls, filling darkend areas of where Fuller, the detective, had hung newspaper clippings and various awards.
Finally Dave broke the silence, it's always interesting to see how long it takes to make this kid talk. "Can I have my gun back?"
"Why?"
"Well, if I don't get it back in the case by the end of the week, Dad's going to flip."
"Try saying that in a way that I'll understand, kid."
"Don't call me kid!"
"Don't give me attitude!"
"Fine!"
"Fine!"
And then there was silence again. Peaceful, blissful, silence. Odd, fidigdy, awkward silence.
"Dave, is there something else that you need to tell me?"
Dave fidgeted again. There was something else. Shit. I really didn't want to interview the Boxer's kid.
"Promise that you're not going to tell my Dad?" This time he dropped a few octaves, he sounded like a young girl which made me laugh. Fortunetly I stopped myself in time.
"What's wrong son?"
"The apartment that I stay in, the one my dad bought me when I graduated from college, it was broken into the other night. I saw the person who broke in." I remember thinking, Yeah? And you didn't mention this before? Twit.
"It wa a girl. And I saw her at the hospital when Dad and I went in to question her and well... it was the same girl. And man, was she hot!" He looked up at me then, "I mean, it was definetly the same girl."
"Did she say anything to you?
"Yea," he squirmed in his chair. I was really tempted to turn on the big interrogation headlight, "She said that if I said a word I'd be next, not Rick."
"You sure that she said Rick?" Now I was really interested in Dave's story.
"And I was scared shitless, sorry detective, the only thing that really got my attention again was when I was reading the police blotter online. My Dad emails them to me when he's a part of it, I think he wants me to be his secretary or something. I went to college for enginerring, not secretary stuff. The guys name she said was definetly Rick."
Crap. This was not good in any form. Rick wasn't the first victim, that Craig Porter was. Crap. Which may mean that Rick was the intentional next target, but he died in a car accident. And now she's holed up in the hospital. But can we pin this on her?  But now I'm what the next person had in store for them. Was there a list? What is our town coming to?
Dave asked for his gun again, and I said it was still down with ballistics. A white lie, but I had to get to the bottom of this. What the hell was going on in Nodnol?

No comments:

Post a Comment