Thursday, March 3, 2011

I am a Sailor

I am a sailor
I am a sailor

I rely solely on what I can see and feel
I rely on satellite dishes and radar

I ride out the storms without an anchor, for-warned of the storm by the weather signs
I ride out the storms safe and dry on land, for-warned of the storms coming by radio

I was born on the sea, my mother was a landlubber, my father a captain
I was born inland, my mother works in a hospital, my father the owner of the shipyard

I sing with the crew, we were fearful of the legends, we were scared of Davy Jones
We blast our ipods and laugh at the legends, movies made fun of the weird legends

But one day,
But one day,

The biggest storm hit,
The biggest storm hit,

We never knew it was coming, we wished for a better way to know
We never knew it was coming, we wished for our power to come back on

Our ship was thrown every which way; many of our crew was thrown overboard
We were unprepared for the storm; men went overboard, thank god for lifejackets

After the storm we didn’t know where we were, the sky was grey after the rain
After the storm we didn’t know where to turn, we wished for some kind of light

At night when the stars came out we were able to find our way home by the North Star
At night the Coast Guard came to find us, their light was our North Star

After the storm better inventions were made to predict storms
We learned to have better equiptment when least expecting a storm

The old way will never come again, the way we learned to sail will be lost to legends
Never again will we be lost to the darkness, we will be more prepared for the future

Sometime we wonder what the future will hold for us
Sometimes I wonder what we would have done in the past

In an unsuspecting storm
In an unsuspecting storm

No comments:

Post a Comment