Monday, March 21, 2011

Topsy-yvruT

More questions, seriously no answers. I was stumped. Walking around the house I suddenly had the feeling that I was about to get into trouble.  Very big trouble.  I had a flashback to when I was sitting in a stadium taking pictures of the concert, and a one of the attendants started pointing at me, almost accusingly. I pretended to not see him and put away my camera quickly.  Fortunately he wasn't eyeing me, he was eyeing the other attendant and trying to get her attention for some reason. I had that same exact feeling in my throat about this.
I ducked into the nearest doorway, just to be out of the way, you never knew what was behind these walls. As I opened the door someone walked through dressed fairly royally and pushed a tray into my hand. He pointed to the stairs and whispered 'room 2B' then shut the door right behind him.
I cautiously went back down the hallway I was just avoiding and came to a flight of stairs. I must have looked very awkward carrying a tray of food and wearing a backpack full of food.  Going up the stairs I saw a table so I left the tray there and hid again behind a statue of some sort to see where I was. And to also see if I could hide my backpack so I could take the place of a servant if need be. 
After five minutes nothing had happened, not even a creak was heard, it was as if the entire building was holding its breath for some reason. 
I dropped by careworn backpack behind the statue, not like anyone was going to look behind it anyways, and stole back over to the tray of food. As I was picking it up, another man walked up the stairs.  Trying to act busy I pretended to check the temperature of the food.
He barked at me "What is taking you so long? Take it to them now!" He pushed me towards the room marked 2B and shoved me inside.  I noticed a minute later that he was dressed in fine clothes as well.  I imagined that these people were so rich that they dressed their servants decently as well.  I was wrong in this assumption as well.  I was not mistaken for a servant in my ragtag clothes.  I was mistaken for a person of high importance.
In this Topsy-turvy level of the house, the generals and men of power served the lowly class servants, who wore their clothes, ate their food and had basic run of the house. Sure when the generals and other men and women of higher authority went to work they still held their authority, but they had to do the work them selves. There were no servants, secretary's or coffee boys.  They were forced to do the work themselves, as well as take care of the house and home, and eat the scraps off of the servants dish.  There was no name for this kind of world, it was democratic, or communist, it was odd. 
I was fortunate to have food in my bag, but how was I going to retrieve it when forced to be in a room of servants and other people of power? I couldn't get away from the housework they forced upon me!
Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment