Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Smiling Donuts

"Smiles are free, there's no taxes on them!" - Stranger at Dunkin' Donuts.  Summer 2011

I know it has taken a little while for this to be posted, but after a day like yesterday I thought it was appropriate. I know that I post a few inspirational sayings, pictures and the like, but for once, I saw an inspirational quote 'in the flesh.'
During the summer I was a nanny and one particular day I dropped my kids off early and found myself with a few hours to kill. Not wanting to spoil a trip near the coffee shop I stopped in and set myself up for a few hours of uninterrupted homework. It happened to be a long day with the kids being out of control and goofy (and when it happens at the same time you just have to sit back and laugh) and a cup of Joe sounded just about right. 
I got into line for a medium cup, coupon in hand and when suddenly a customer stopped just about in front of me and said "Smiles are free, there's no taxes on them!" I must have had a frown face on, because I just started laughing, and soon the whole store was in on the joke. He was right, smiles are free, and should be shared at every opportunity. 
I'm sharing this story with you in hopes that you remember to smile, at least once today and know that there are people out there willing to lift up the corners of your mouth for you. I place myself on that list, I don't think anyone should suffer through a day without having something to smile about.

When was the last time a stranger made you smile? 

No comments:

Post a Comment