Saturday, June 18, 2011

Recycling Truck

This morning I looked out and say the GARBAGE TRUCK picking up my RECYCLABLES. Imagine how annoyed I was! Apparently the world doesn't know how to divide their own recyclables and told the town truck to do it. Can't do too much about it, after all, I'm not registered to vote yet!
It also gave me the idea of what to do with the old t-shirts I have around in my room that I want to give to my friends. some  of the shirts are actually too small for most of them to wear and would look rediculous if they did try to put them on. My RA came up with this idea a few weeks back about what we should do about them, and this is what we have:

You need:
1 T-Shirt
1 Sewing Kit or Sewing Machine
Markers/Paint
Scissors

Procedure:
1. Cut off the sleeves of the shirt in hand. If you cutt off the excess part of the shirt you can use the cuff as a headband. Another effective use for the recycable bag! Or if you can, string an elastic band through the cuff (if its big enough) and sew it shut. When pulled together the cuff will become a scrunchie!
2. Turn the t-shirt inside out and sew the bottom cuff together. What you can also do here is sew the cut portion of the shirt on the top to make the edges more even. Or decorate them with ribbons. Your choice.
3. Turn the shirt back outside in and presto! You have a recyclable bag! On the outside you can decorate it with markers, ribbon, paint, or anything of your choice.  A good idea is to write the recyclable sign on one side to show others that you are in support of recycling!

This is fun and easy to make, no more than 15 minutes on the job. You can also use the bag if you are donating clothes and the shirt is too worn out for selling but you don't want to throw it out. I'm using it right now as a carrying case for magazines, just to keep them off of the floor.

Have fun! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment