Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sound Off [2]

'It's a long road, but someone has to walk it.' - unknown

How many movies have we seen where the characters have to travel down a road to get to thier destination? I can think of one off the top of my head: "Wizard of Oz." A beloved classical movie that cheerily states that there is no place like home and you should not try to hide from a tornado in your own bedroom.  Dorothy travels down the yellow brick road to find her way home.
In "Women Without Men" the main character's best friend travels down a long road to find her place of solitude, even if it is for a little while.
I imagine there are many other movies where roads lead to the ultimate truth, even "The 13th Floor" shows a road where at the end of the road there lies the nonexistence of the world. 
However, how many movies or books are there where the 'walker' (lack of a better word) just looks at the road and decides to give up? NONE.
So please get off of your bum's and get cracking. I look at this quote and I think, "Huh, I've got two more years left of school, plus a couple of more years if I want to be the best darn teacher that I can be. And you know what? The only person that is going to do that is me. Lil' ol' me. And I'm going to do it! By George, I'm going to do it!"
Then I get off of this, and By George, I take another step towards the end of the road... which retiring in fifty years from my classroom. So c'mon Dorothy, let's get our red shoes on and lets get the hell out of MunchkinLand and move on towards Oz!

No comments:

Post a Comment