Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Underground

Good glory, where the hell was I? When I came to the second time, I realized that I wasn't alone. I was in a chair tied to two women and another man, whose head was bleeding just above the temple. He looked like he went from hell and back, but maybe I looked the same. There were no mirrors so who could say? Turned out they were waiting for me to come to myself and started asking me questions about the 'outside.' They had been trapped down here for over a week, fed soup and bread, but they were surviving. I knew the stakes, they wouldn't last much longer since most poisons that could be found in our little of Nodnol were best used in poison. I didn't dare tell the new folks that.

The two kids that I was with, after closer inspection they really weren't any more than kids, were named Wendy and John. In the weak light that was coming from somewhere I could make out thier shapes. Wendy was a short brunette that was beginning to look a little gaunt from the loss of nutrients that were not found in soup. Or it could be the poison taking effect, autopsy would tell us that eventually I feared. John, ironically that was his name, was a bit overweight, his chair creaked every time he moved slightly. His hair was beginning to thin, like it would for an older man, but it must run in his family. The third girl that was tied to our little group was named Sheryll, but like she said 'Everyone calls me 'Tinkerbell' cause I wear green too often." It was too much out of a storybook to be true.

To fool the ladies into thinking that I was taken (I do enjoy the single life) I wear a wedding ring. Funny thing about my wedding ring is that if I hit the right nic on the edge, a small sharp surface will appear. Not much to set off when I'm in the shower, but good in emergencies. Lately it has been, admittedly, used to clean the gunk out of my fingernails. It sure came in handy though to cut Tinkerbell out of her ropes. In turn she untied me, I bet she could wriggle out of anything, and we untied the other two. With our band of four we decided to explore where we were. By and by we found the basement where there was a sewer drain, but as luck as would have it, we ran out of it.

John pulled the grate out of the crumbling wall and the girls jumped through, which was a shitty idea seeing what came next. John was shot three times using the grate as protection, the idiot, and I knew that he was lost as the third one went straight between his eyes. I dove into the sewer after the girls screaming "GET DOWN!" Girls have the more sense than boys, so I let them decide which way to go, either left or right from our place in the sewer. Somehow in his death, John was able to save us still. When he fell (and after I jumped through the hole) he fell over the enterence. And as the man was well over 300 pounds, one would wonder how he was even captured in the first place, he covered our escape marveously. I'll have to send his family more than condolences.

I didn't land very gracefully, so when I finally did stand up, I tried not to think about what I was covered in. I called for the girls: "Tinkerbell? Wendy!" To my left I heard a scream, and I really hoped that it wasn't just from the literal shit that we were in. I ran on ahead to find the girls and found Wendy, but no Tinkerbell. "Behind you..." I turned around and found Tink sitting in the muck completely covered. "Tinkerbell, I know that we're literaly in, well, shit, but we've got to keep moving."
"That's not why I'm on the ground sir, it's what's around the corner."
"What?"
"See for yourself, sir." She had a perticular way of getting on ones nerves when she said 'sir.'

I moved around the bend to see for myself what the hell was freaking her out so much. And I was not expecting to see this. Lined up against the walls were decomposing bodies of men and women of similar height and weight from my observation. The most shocking part was they were all blond. Blond. I didn't have much light to look at the corpses, but from what I could see using my skills as a police officer, I could see that almost all of the mens' throats were killed and the womens' faces were frozen in a position that if they were to say something it would have been an exhale. The eeriest part was, each corpse had his or her eyes wide open. Dead eyed, wild look and decomposing in time. Frightening.

I heard a scream and ran awkwardly back towards the corner where I left the girls, it's kind of hard to run through, well, you know what. You would think with all the water that also runs through the sewers from the various er, locations, but this area was a lot sludgier than you would think. Oh - kay away from the graphics... And when I got around the corner I was greeted with another corpse, Wendy's. And I watched in horror as Tinkerbell was slain in front of my eyes. A hulky but trim 6'4 caucasion male with a spider tattoo extending like a 3D image off of his middle finger made a swift motion across her throat. A ribbon of red turned into a dripping paint... and I passed out.

I was never one for open wounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment