Saturday, August 4, 2012

Walls

If I could talk, there is so much that I would say
I would discuss with you perhaps the time of Day
But there are better things that I would like to utter
Such as the meaning of life or watching a butterfly wings flutter
I'm sure that you would rather hear what went on in here
What love was said and done, who was afraid and feared

I could start off with the day that I was built
When I could see sky and grass, moving water and still silt
I could witness the trees growing from where I waited
Until the day that into the floor my sides were grated
Oh how that hurt when my edges were sanded
But how happy I was that I finally landed

Over looking the gardens is where I once stood
I could see the whole world! Well, at least I thought I could
My little roommates played between my four borders
It tickles me now that at the time I thought they all had speech disorders!
Oh, how they all laughed and giggled and fretted and played
In the winter and kept them warm,  in the summer I provided shade

I felt so old when the eldest left and had gone away
For a few days I did not feel so happy and gay
Then one by one the nest emptied of the rest of children who were old now
All that was left in here was an old cradle, a blanket, a stuffed cow
The parents came and cleaned me out, it was time to go on and be sold
My family was leaving me, I was no longer useful, and like the children I was old

A new family moved in, well, the beginnings of a young one
They tried every night to have a baby, during the day they had some fun
I was decorated and refurnished, painted and scraped along
He was a poet, though he really didn't know it, and she always liked to sing a song
One night I was shocked to hear
Something that I most feared

Someone broke in through my downstairs friend
And ruined the family, the house, and me, in ways that time will not mend
After years of neglect I was sold once more
To a man that had once served in the Core
He needed a place to spend the last of his years
But most importantly, a place to hide his tears

He wasn't the last to have lived within my boundaries
I've had many men, women, children and animals full of talent and abilities
That have played within my walls, made love within and slept behind
I've seen so much hurt, anger, laughter, tears but my favorite is when they are kind
I heard today the wrecking ball come my way
So I'm afraid that this is the last thing I will every say

With each second I try to recall my glory days when I was new once more
Those days my corners reached from the ceiling to the floor
The mice and the bees that have been tearing apart my home
Will soon need another save haven to roam
I pretend to think that the noise of the machines is the same as the day I found myself complete
But now I'm afraid that at last I must admit defeat

2 comments:

  1. we all have are up and downs in life, just need to keep your head up high and the right guy will come in to your life one day. he will make you for get about all the bad and just make you smile when your said and make you laugh when your mad. the only time you fail is when you give up in life some times thing dont owes work out the way you plan but there is more then one way to get where you need to go and a long that path you learn new thing some are good and some are a life lesson that make you stronger. but life is to short to be said so just smile and make the best out of everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickey? This was about Walls, actual walls... nothing else. If I can, I'll tell the house that was torn down the street from me what you thought... it was in memorium of that house. :)

    ReplyDelete