Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ellen Tibbits



Characters: Ellen Tibbits, Austine Allen and thier classrom
Setting: Ellens and Austines school
Plot: Ellen has a deep dark secret that she can't tell anyone. It's so dark that she has to hide it from the other girls all fall, winter and spring. She's been getting away with it for a while... then Austine the new girl figured it out... because she's hiding the same exact secret! Austine and Ellen bond over hiding thier deep dark (and actually quite silly) secret! Then on the first day of thier new grade Ellen does something awful and Austine doesn't forgive her. Over time Ellen realizeds that it is really her fault but she struggles about whether she is the one who is wrong or if her best friend is. By and by, like best friends do, the air is cleared, but Ellen wonders if it really has, can you tell?

I know this is a childrens book but this week I had an incedent with some of my students and they started a ruckess. I read this book so that I could ask the girls to read and reflect on thier own actions these past few days. Will it work? I'll let you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment