Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Back to the Beginning

I was missing something, but I didn't know what, so thinking logically I decided to cross the bridge again, and see where it got me. I cautiously went between the new buildings that had sprung up in a matter of minutes and headed to where I thought the bridge still was.  Fortunately it was between a little Italian diner and it seemed to be a pawn shop. The old water shed was gone, and the river was polluted but all I cared about was the bridge. In the matter of time that had supposedly passed the bridge lost its railings, and a few boards were missing in the center.
Again with great caution I crossed the bridge again to reach the other side that I used to sled down and pick raspberries from in the Spring.  I was almost at the end when the boards gave away and I stumbled knocking my head against the dilapidated bridge.  When I came to I saw that the landscape had changed again.
This time the skyscrapers were no longer in place, the house was a little more looked after but the most important part there was smoke coming out of the chimney!
What should have struck me odd before I ran up the hill was that it felt like the middle of the summer, and there was no truck in the driveway. The garden was dead and overgrown, and the front door was broken. How stupid and nieve I was to try to waltz right in. How idiotic to think that someone that I knew would be in the basement ready to greet me.
Being bold and stupid I almost walked into the basement. Almost. Right before I did I heard a scream. Not a mousey scream like when they get stuck in the traps, but a full bloody murder I-don't-want-to-die scream. I spun around with my back against the basement outside door. I had only seen a glimpse but it would haunt me forever.
Where there once was a peaceful workbench with hammer and nails there was now maces, clubs and stakes. The stove was opened to be wider and there were heatened iron rods. Cages hung on the cieling with people inside! A large bear of a man was shaking a cage with his left hand right next to the door laughing at the poor soul inside. In his right hand he held a whip that swayed as he shook the cage and gave the impression of a very large snake.  The man in the cage was the one that was screaming and he was bleeding from the right temple, I had never seen that much blood on one person. I prayed as I hid next to the doorframe that the man would find peace in death. There was nothing I could do, I was no nurse, and certainly no hero. 
I darted across the doorway to reach the backyard but as I did I upset the pebble pile around the corner. Nauseated I realized that they weren't pebbles... they were teeth!
I bit my tounge and rushed to the backyard, I could hear the bear shuffle across the concrete floor and I knew he would hit me with the whip if I didn't move fast enough! I finally made it around the second corner and heaved a sigh of relief. But it didn't last for long. Before me stood another building, another skyscraper that was disguised as a group of trees. I did not see it as I crossed the bridge before because I thought it was a set of trees.
Who would hide a skyscraper like that? Again I was left with more questions than answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment