Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Changing Times

There was nothing left for me at the old house, I took the last bit of momentos that were stuck under the floorboards and looked out the window one last time. I saw the familiar yard, with the dying gardens, the missing apple trees, the emptiness of everything, the neighbors house, the old cannon, the horse stable... Cannon? There was never a cannon when I lived here?
I moved closer to the window to see the new addition to the neighbors yard. There was a person, dressed in green moving closer and closer, I laughed, he was not doing a very good job at hiding behind the trees I could see him dart infront of every rock and every tree, then behind the horse stable, then finally next to the cannon. With a start he wasn't hiding from someone looking from my angle, he was hiding from someone from the neighbors house point of view.
I watched him load the cannon, first with the gunpowder, packed it down, searched his pockets for a light. He swung the cannon around and angled it towards the house, closer and closer, then finally aimed it at the window I was looking through.  I ran from the window, down the stairs and down to the back door. I heard the cannon fire hit the house, shattering windows, breaking the walls, destroying the house. Wood splinters flew around me gouging at my arms, my legs, ripping my shirt, the bag I ran down to the basement. The house followed me down, the stairs ripped up under my feet as I ran down into the cement basement.
There was only way out was the back basement door and I ran before he reloaded.
I exited and ran down the dirt road brushing off what I could of the pieces of house and looked at the backyard. In the moments that I was in the house the landscape had changed again, the trees were replaced by pavement, the river polluted, skycrapers filled the blank spaces between the two houses. I couldn't recognize anything that was once familiar. The once peaceful backyard had turned into a busy city, but it lacked the people.
What year was I in now? Where was my family? Where was, I?

No comments:

Post a Comment