Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rebellious

My family had left me behind.  Behind in a year. Behind in the old home. Behind in a town I hardly recognized anymore. I couldn't go home, I couldn't go to a family home, I couldn't go anywhere. 
I never knew my family to be part of a rebellious group, much less want to go to Alaska! Alaska is cold, unchartered, full of polar bears and unknown snowy creatures. Sure there was lots to do but what were they doing? I grew scared. I had more questions.
Why had they left me behind? If it wasn't 2011 then what year was it? They could not have had enough time to pack up and leave quickly like they were on the run. Or were they? The more questions I had the more confused I was. 
I snuck in through the back door to my grandparents house to snoop around, more so to look for supplies.  Some odd reason, the inner rooms to the house were not cleared! As if someone wanted to give the impression that the house was empty and for sale.  Something smelled fishy, and it wasn't the rotting fish in the fridge.  I packed up the perishables that I could find in the cabinets, inner closet and in the basement. I wasn't really in the mood to leave anything behind. I used a backpack that Grandpa used when he was going to the gym. For good measure I checked the phone logs and the calenders in her office.  Both said 2011. All her important documents were gone, some clothes were gone from the dressers upstairs but what struck me the most odd was that a few pictures were definitely gone.  Mom's wedding picture was off the wall and missing, as well as the 50th Wedding Anniversary pictures.  Was there anything else missing? Where did they go?
For good measure I took one of the blankets that she had made years ago, it was one of my favorites and I'd be needing it, the nights were still a little chilly. 
I headed back out the back door and took the long way around to the house I used to call home. Again I noticed how small and empty it looked.  I didn't expect to find answers here either.  Everything was gone, the garage was emptied, the house in every corner was empty, even the back yard sheds had surrendered under the pressure and collapsed hiding everything that could give answers in a large pile. 
Again I snuck in through the basement, I knew the best way to sneak in because of the broken lock. There were no answers here either, nothing left for me to find. 
I was halfway back out the basement door when I remembered that my sister and I used to hide notes to each other in the closet we shared.  In the closet we had jimmied a floor plank up and hid little things in there. 
I ran up the stairs, bulging backpack and all and flung the closet door open. The level of dust on the closet floor gave me hope, no one had been up there in a long while.
I carefully ripped the floor board up and gave a sigh of relief. She had left me a note, the bad part was that it was in the secret code we made up as kids, I was going to have so much fun deciphering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment