Friday, April 29, 2011

The First Girl President

I wanted to be the first girl president when I grew up. I remember telling the kids on the bus that, and the hopeful faces that my girl friends had when they looked at me. They cheered, Rachel Rachel Rachel! Like in a cheer! They were my own cheerleaders!
Being the new girl I loved that cheer, I wanted it to keep going, and I heard it in my head every day of my life, Rachel, Rachel, Rachel!
I went through school with Courtney, we were the best of friends and she helped with the cheerleading squad. The one person cheerleading squad, thats what best friends are for right?
I don't know why I can hear the children cheering my name right now, I don't understand it. I'm so far away from the bus, I can see the bus and how I looked through the years.
Parents looked up to me I suppose, I was a good babysitter, and I did set my own trends. I called myself 'Ray' for about six months, exploring more like it. I had a boyfriend before all the other girls, but I knew how to handle them, I read books. I lost it at the age of fifteen. Mikeys behind bars now, wasn't because of me, unrelated problem.
I could be seen as a leader, I gave girls ideas on what to wear, on what to say, how to act and how to pass the class without handing in a grade. Some of the girls didn't like me, but they didn't dislike me either. I just found a way to get along.
Farther into high school I realized that I wasn't going anywhere with the persona that I had created and I decided once I hit college I would ditch it. And ditch it I did. I cut my hair again, started dating older men and well, never looked back.
I don't know why I suddenly rememberd the kids on the bus chanting my name, almost like they believed in me. After all, what girl wouldn't want to be the first girl president?

No comments:

Post a Comment