Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Follow in his Footsteps

I had to meet him
  After school
    To work on homework
       And to discuss my grade.
Slowly I packed up my books
  Rewrote down my homework
     Fixed my jacked one last time
       Stalled for time.
I could hear his polished shoes
  Click down the empty hallway
    He knew where my locker was
       As if he could zone down on my fear.
He gestured with his manicured finger
   Beckoning me to follow his steps
     My sneakers squeeked his shoes clicked
        And we walked down the hallway together.
I tried to start a conversation
  Stuttering about the rainy weather
    He shrugged his shoulders as if he didn't care
       Although I knew he disliked wet grass.
Finally we arrived at his office
  Surprisingly decorated with familiar childish drawings
    He shut the door and I sat down
       And finally he asked "So, why are you failing?"
I mumbled a response as he removed his jacket
  Hanging it up on the wall
     He said "Liz your mother and I know it is hard
         But as your father I believe you can do better."

No comments:

Post a Comment