Monday, January 10, 2011

Changelings

I'm sorry, I must have used half of the box of tissues on you, but I'm still so upset about it. How could that happen? She just..
Yes, yes, I'll start where I left off... with the eyelash. 
She turned toward the sunlight and I saw the eyelash so I pulled on it with the very tips of my fingernails. She didn't mind, she was just a kid, probably did it a hundred times with her mother.  So I told her to look the other way while I tried to pluck it out. I figured if she was annoyed by me we could go up to the Lodge and use the tweezers that we use typically for splinters. We never needed the tweezers. A needle and some thread would have been nice but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Oh yes, I'd like another tissue thank you. 
But like I said it was innocent enough, an eyelash in her eye. I plucked it with my finger, but it kept coming out. At first thought I thought it was a piece of her hair in there, that must have been annoying. She had very long reddish goldish hair, curly when ever it got wet. When it obviously wasn't the eyelash, I told Lilly "Lill, its a piece of your hair, I'm going to keep going. Or do you want to wait until we get to the lodge and we can use a tweezer?" She said "No Dana, it's fine. Just get it out. It's getting itchy."
The last thing I remember thinking before I went into shock, was 'Itchy? Why is it getting itchy now?"
What was in her eye was not an eyelash. It was not a piece of her hair. It was thread.
I gently pulled what I thought was hair out of her eye, then it jumped from her eye up to her eyebrow, and like a badly sewn seam on a pant leg, it began to one by one undo the eyelashes. The eyelashes popped out of her brow and went along her eye to the left, near her ear. The seam stopped at the end of her eyebrow then traveled down her face to outline her face. Lilly looked at my shocked face and began to back away which pulled the stitches out further, traveling under eye along the bottom lashes. Before anyone could give a shout of warning, her eye sank out of socket and hung by the optic nerves. As Lilly turned her face to look at her peers the eye swayed gently on her cheek.
I fainted here. The poor child...

No comments:

Post a Comment