Monday, January 10, 2011

Stitched Lilly

Lilly was one of my students, happy go-lucky kid, tall for her age. I'd say she was eight or so. She had a brother that was very bright but not good socially, Daniel I think his name was. I babysat them sometimes, before they went to camp with me, and be in my group. See what I do is work in the out door wilderness area of the camp, Camp Tree Lake, it empties into Glass River, can't miss it if you go down Box Lane, turn at Winchester farm follow the old goat path. The camp takes a more direct route, going right down Fern Road and taking a left at Four Crossings. That road was put in the year they put in the new cabins down by the lake. My part of camp is near the parking lot, usually we start when the last of the parents and tots leave, just so we can get things done without the parents being freaky about the type of glue gun we use. "Oh Johnny can't use that.. he's allergic to it! It has hepacitus B and Clorox L in it!" Or whatever they say. After five years of listening to the complaints of the parents we just play tag or some other sport until the last of the cars leave. Then the fun begins. That day were going to make our own pet rocks, with paint, glitter eyes, the whole nine yards. We had just come back from the poison ivy infested forest that we call Deplorable Woods to find small rocks that would work for our pet rocks.
We had just gotten back and Carl did the usual poison ivy check on all the kids, if he could see the tell tale red marks then he sent the kids up with one of the JC's to get washed up, if it looks worse than it really is, maybe put a little cream on it. JC work, no biggie. I was left with the six or so kids, this group of second graders happened to be really small. Usually we have about fifteen but we lucked out. Next year, there probably won't be any kids in this group, but whose to say anything?
Lilly came up to me, like she always did, she was a little show off. She started rubbing her eye so I asked her what was wrong. She shrugged and in her little high pitched voice of hers that could melt even the Grinch she said "Probably just durt." Never and 'i' in dirt with her, it was a u. I thought it was cute. I had her turn towards me and I looked in her eye, like any concerned adult would and I found an eyelash. Innocent enough, everyone has had an eyelash in thier eye before. It was right in that little spot where theres alot of pink, right next to the bridge of your nose.  Common enough occurance.  What happened next will haunt me forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment