Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Game

Tanya called me up Friday night, her nephew Trent was playing on Saturday afternoon and was wondering if we wanted to go? Rascal wasn't home yet, but I knew he'd love to see Trent play, so I booked Saturday afternoon with Tanya.
We all met the next day in the corridor leading into the gym. The cheerleaders had their stand with the amateurs running it. I bought my weekly bag of skittles from them and we shuffled into the gym trying very hard not to get mud on the playing court. Tanya looped her arm into mine and steered me to the very end of the gym, down where the band was setting up. One boy was already toot tooting away the National Anthem as warm up.  As a tease while we were walking up the worn benches lined up against the wall Rascal took my other arm and pulled me away from Tanya. She laughed and rolled her eyes, I could hardly hear her laugh from the noise the trumpeter was making!
Finally the Hawks bounded into the gym and the crowd settled down.  Trent is number 45, and the bench warmer.  Unfortunately.
12, 19, 22, 39 and 7 ran out to the court and were instantly cheered on by the crowd.  They played the game to the best of thier ability, absolutely creaming the other team, the Sharks.  Then tragedy struck. 
Number 7, poor John, was shoved into the wall. He collapsed onto the floor. The whistle blew and as a crowd we centered our focus onto John on the floor.  From our vantage point we could tell that he broke a part of his arm.  The paramedics on hand ran forward and checked his arm and once seeing that he could stand on his own they moved him away from the game. The game was over. Or was it?
The coach was talking to Trent, was he going to be able to play?
The coach gave a signal to the records board and the buzzer played again. Trent gave a yell and ran out to the floor and the other boys gave him a high five, he was going to play! With three minutes left to the game, Trent was the sub for number 7!
Two minutes went by, then another thirty seconds, and the boys were sweating bullets to grasp the lead again. Finally, with ten seconds left to the game Trent was fouled upon.
He stood at the three point line, both teams lined up in front of him. Our boys in thier stance hoping for Trent to make the basket, the other team showed they were hungry for the ball, hungry for the lead. In unison we held our breath as the ball left the referees hand and a solitary whistle rang out. Four thumps as loud as heartbeats echoed in the gymnasium. With a slap against the leather ball Trent lined up his sights and flicked the ball into the air. Slowly it turned in air in a never ending arc and with a swish fell through the basket. 
Suddenly Trent was thrown into the air by his teammates, his coach, the short-skirted cheerleaders and his friends. I saw him being kissed as well from the tall blond cheerleader and I internally cheered for him for that. His social status will be upgraded in less than two hours for that one. And for that I was grateful.
Afterward we said good night to Tanya, she was staying behind to pick up Trent and take the boy home... if he ever made it out of the locker room alive. 
That night Rascal and I went home, hot and crazy after the game.  Crazy - in a good way - in a very good way. He held the door open for me to the apartment, but then as I went through he gave me a quick tap on my backside. I squealed, I was still hyper from the sugar I consumed from the game and ran inside - it reminded me of how it used to be...  before we grew mundane.
I tried to be quick while he was busy with the door but he still snagged me by my belt looped and pulled me closer and tried to kiss me. I was being a tease, I wouldn't let him. I giggled and pushed him away but his grip grew stronger. I dropped down low and managed to get out of his grasp, then he picked me up swung me over his shoulder!
Helpless I giggled and thumped on his back asking to be let go!
Laughing he let me go... headfirst into the couch! I laughed and bounced off of the shredded thing and wiggled onto the floor. I felt like a little kid, playing hard to get, but we were happy and excited, what more could we need right then and there?
He threw himself over the couch and pulled me out from under the blanket I was hiding under on the floor. Poor hiding spot, but I didn't want to get too far!
He pulled me back onto the couch and started tickling every inch of me that he could find, my arms, my legs, my stomach, my neck every where that he could get.
I giggled and laughed, shrieked and had fun. It's hard to fight back when the person you're fighting has you pinned and is tickling you to death! Haha, Damn you Rascal!
I twisted away again and he grabbed my unprotected toes... and started playing piggly-wigglies with them! My most ticklish spot! I giggled and laughed crying 'stoppit! I'm ticklish!' and during one long giggle he leaned over and ....kissed me.
It had been so long since he had kissed me like that....

No comments:

Post a Comment