Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Date Night

Wednesday Night at last!

We work so much that Wednesdays are the only days we can both take off at the same time. Its a relief actually, when the two week marker comes around. It means we can hang up the uniforms and go out and forget that we do work, at least for a few hours. Typically we'll go out to the movies, try something new for dinner or find something outdoorsy to do. A few weeks ago we bought tickets and went skiing, we hadn't done that in ages. We took our tumbles but we had fun, and that's what counts. 
This week, Rascal is still at work, but he'll get out at two, which is nice. He doesn't get out this early typically. This is also my week to plan our date night, and I had already done everything a week in advance. I planned a little get together with our friends down at the bowling alley, after all it has been three years since we've been together. I don't think he counts, I don't either, I just go by the years.

My cell rang, it was Tanya, one of my closest friends, she and her beau Scott we're on thier way to the alley. "I can't wait to see you hun!" She said, "It's been too long!" I laughed, it certainly had been too long. Too much time had passed since the beginning of the summer when we had our last get together. Tanya ran off the list of supplies she was bringing, soda, dessert and silverware. Scott was bringing the after party drinks. I sighed, Scott had to bring his drinks. The call waiting feature started to beep so I hung up on Tanya in the middle of her list of prices and clicked the button. The second I did I regretted it, it was Rascal's brother, Tommy.

Tommy and I never quite got along since he started dating Shanelle, a skanky little wench that I had known for years. When I had known her she was a little over weight, then arrived one day back at work 115 pounds lighter. Good for her. Then she thought she could throw her self around to attract the men. And she did. She attracted Bobby, Lou, Joe and Kyle. Somehow she got her talons in Tommy and hasn't let go. Tommy swears she loves him, but I know better. And that's where the arguments start.
I sighed as I addressed him "Whaddya want Tommy."
I could almost hear his eyes roll in his head. He told me once that I put an 'a' in his name, like I said 'Tommay'. I'm from New England, leave me and my accent alone.
"What I want 'cole, is Rascal."
"Rascal? What do you want him for?"
"Eh? Hang on." He unstuck himself from the other end of the phone and screamed at Shanelle, "I'll be right there!" He came back on. "Oh, Rasc's got my good board. I just wanted to get it from him."
"Why didn't you say so? He's got it at work. I think he's waxing it."
"Oh, great. Tell him I'll see him tomorrow then." Then as abrupt as he was, he hung up.
I shrugged and put my phone in my pocket. I survived another phone call from Tommy.

I threw on my warm clothes and stepped out into the cold February air. Valentines day had just passed, all we did was pass a couple of cards to friends, family and each other. Not as big of a deal as it was when we were just kids. I walked down to the bowling alley, it was just across the street, lucky for us, and Tanya pulled up right next to me with Scott keeping shotgun. He grinned and held up the Bud Light. Tanya saw him and rolled her eyes just enough so I could see and socked him in the stomach. "Oh!" He reacted, "She got me! I'm going to die! Spousal abuse! Spousal Abuse!!!" Tanya and I started laughing, he keeps pulling the spousal card even though their marriage is never going to come.

We hustled inside and set up our little party, and little by little people started arriving in twos. Peter and Stephanie came next with the coleslaw and bread, Colin and Victoria were next with the cake and napkins, then Joe with Allie brought up the rear with the macaroni and cheese, Allies specialty. Now we were just waiting on Rascal... where was he?

A few minutes later he bustled in and the party started. We bowled as a team with Tanya, Scott, and Pete while Steph, Col, Victoria, Joe and Allie made the second team. Steph's team creamed us, yet again but we all had fun and pictures to share so everyone had a good time. After the cake and food was gone we all cleaned up, paid up and said our goodbyes. Rascal and I walked each other home, said our good nights and fell asleep holding each other still on the couch with his mothers blanket covering us.

Another beautiful ending to another beautiful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment