Wednesday, January 19, 2011

You're Moving?

Everyone knows someone who is moving, has moved or will move in the future, but what do you get the to-be movers?
Often presents are a book describing the town you just left, or a scrap book of memories that you had together. This past Christmas we gave my cousin who is moving a record-a-story book. As a family we read the stories to the little microphone and sent it off to her. When she opens the book she will hear us 'read' the story to her as if we were there ourselves. After recording I looked to my siblings and said "Or instead of her listening to us read this, in 40 years we should pull it out and laugh at how young we sounded!" I got socked by the ten year old for that. She doesn't take to old age very well.
But another thought I had was giving away a sentimental, or in my case, a teddy bear. I got the idea a few summers back when a good friend of mine was graduation and throwing a birthday party. I didn't know what she liked, or what she was going to take with her so I bought a teddy bear with a little rain costume on. It worked too because she was throwing a pool/lake party. She loved that bear! She said it was the perfect gift.
I actually haven't seen her since, I wonder if she still has it, but at the time it was a great gift.
Another dear friend of mine is moving, and upon entering my car for a ride home he went gaga over the bear that was sitting in my backseat. Margaret, thats what I named her, will soon become a gift to him for moving, almost like a travel buddy. Apparantly men don't like teddy bears, but she needs a home anyways, all bears do.
For all the youngsters, do you know the story of the Teddy Bear? It began with Teddy Roosevelt, one of our greatest Presidents. If you don't believe me, look it up! One of the reasons why I like him so much!

To begin with your gifting start with this (if you desire):
1. Rescue a bear! Scout out bears from tag sales, consignment shops or even in your closet. Every bear deserves a good home. If you want to spend a little extra, I suggest going to Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Build-A-Bear Workshop or Beanie Babies. They have a great selection of bears for any occasion!
2. Name it. If something is named, it's harder to throw away.
3. Package it. If you can't see it, then you don't want to keep it. But don't forget to let the poor thing breathe! With Vermont Teddy Bear Co. you can actually have the bears shipped in thier own little 'homes.'
4. Give it away. Your friend will appreciate the gift. Even if he or she doesn't they'll be sure to give it to a deserving home too.

And don't forget to wish you're little friends a safe trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment